- PMID: 33257801
- PMCID: PMC7703735
- DOI: 10.1038/s41433-020-01323-x
Free PMC article
The COVID-19 pandemic has brought an unprecedented change in the way we deliver eye care to our patients, most notably with the rapid addition of telehealth technology into our practices. We have welcomed telehealth with open arms in hopes that it would improve access to care for our patients; however, one question remains: Does it improve health equity?
Conflict of interest statement
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Chee RI, Darwish D, Fernandez-Vega A, et al. Retinal telemedicine. Curr Ophthalmol Rep. 2018;6:36–45. doi: 10.1007/s40135-018-0161-8. – DOI – PMC – PubMed
- Scanzera AC, Cole E, Valikodath NG, et al. Implementation of COVID-19 Protocols and Tele-Triage in an Academic Ophthalmology Department. J Acad Ophthalmol. 2020;12:e151–8.
- UI Health. 2019Community Assessment of Needs: Towards Health Equity. University of Illinois Hospital and Health Sciences System: Chicago: University of Illinois; 2019.
- Nouri S, Khoong EC, Lyles CR, Karliner L. Addressing Equity in Telemedicine for Chronic Disease Management During the COVID-19 Pandemic. N Engl J Med: Catalyst Innovations in Care Delivery. 2020. https://catalyst.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/CAT.20.0123. – DOI
- Pew Research Center. Internet/Broadband Fact Sheet. August, 2020 2019.
- Mamedova S, Pawlowski E. Stats in Brief: A Description of U.S. Adults Who Are Not Digitally Literate. National Center for Education Statistics. 2018.
- Zambelli-Weiner A, Crews JE, Friedman DS. Disparities in adult vision health in the United States. Am J Ophthalmol. 2012;154:S23–30.e21. doi: 10.1016/j.ajo.2012.03.018. – DOI – PubMed
- County Health Rankings Model. County Health Rankings & Roadmaps. 2019. https://www.countyhealthrankings.org/explore-health-rankings/measures-da….
- Nankivil D, Gonzalez A, Rowaan C, Lee W, Aguilar MC, Parel JA. Robotic remote controlled stereo slit lamp. Transl Vis Sci Technol. 2018;7:1. doi: 10.1167/tvst.7.4.1. – DOI – PMC – PubMed